Monday, September 24, 2007

Apple IPhone

Apple, where should I begin.

I'm not a consumer of Apple products, in fact I pretty much hate everything Apple. So I'll try and keep my biases out of this and get my venting over with in this paragraph. Here are the things I don't like about Apple: the way they handle their customers (they treat them like income not humans), they don't care about quality (who puts a product out knowing that the consumers will have to send it back in two years because the battery won't last longer than that? I understand it is to make money, but it is careless), and last but not least, I don't care for their empire of products that are dependant on other Apple products. What if I want to use something other than itunes?

After reading the Apple IPhone case I came to the conclusion that they are taking on a communitarianistic viewpoint.

Justice - Justice really hasn't been served in the case of Apple. They are currently violating disability acts because their new phones are not made for people with hearing disabilities. So far they have not responded to any customer complaints and instead take on a "no comment" stance. In this case it is definitely the powerful over the powerless. The Apple empire is worth billions of dollars, I'm thinking that some disgruntled customers will not affect their sales to the extent of bankruptcy, therefore Steve Jobs isn't worrying about it.

Humaneness - In this case Apple is not being humane. They aren't recognizing their customers needs, and are completely overlooking every helpful comment to simply get the product out and make the money. If they would have taken on a good business standpoint they would have acknowledged the hearing impaired when they attended meetings before the release to try and get their product changed, instead they ignored them and in turn ignored that whole sector of the population who could have been brought on as Apple customers. They also ignored their European customers by releasing the IPhone there knowing that the Internet speeds would be slower than in the US. Everything that Apple does revolves around money, not the customer.

Truth - Apple is telling the truth, they warned customers about the battery life of the IPhone, they told people that they were sorry for the price drop and offered something in return to hopefully satisfy their customers, but they failed to take the interests of their customers to heart.

Freedom - They are free to pursue profit. They are a business, that's what businesses do. Sloppy ones do whatever they can no matter what to make more money.

This case hasn't helped my stance on Apple. I originally thought that their $100 rebate was a nice gesture, but after I found out it is only a store credit, I was a little mad. There's nothing like getting store credit instead of cash, instead of using that money to buy something else, you are forced to use that money on Apple products. WooHoo...so what about the people who don't want anything to do with Apple after they screwed them over? I guess they themselves are screwed.

No comments: